Steve’s Five Points
(originally Wally’s 5 points, but nobody* knows Wally)
The following 5 points are the essential characteristics of healthy church life.
- Exegetical Preaching. The preaching of the church must be based upon God’s Word and the purpose of preaching is to explain a particular text of Scripture – 2 Timothy 4:2
- Genuine Expression of Worship. The church must display genuine worship which points people toward the Creator – John 4:21-24.
- Emphasis on helping people to share their faith. Personal evangelism must be a high priority for the local church -Matthew 28:18-20; Colossians 1:28; 1 Peter 2:9.
- Servanthood. the church must accept all people and truly care for them. An attitude of putting others first and serving Jesus Christ is emphasized – Philippians 2:1-11.
- Love people rather than use them. We want everyone to reach their full potential in Christ and we want to avoid using people to reach our own ends – John 15:12-17.
*”nobody” meaning nobody in Nuevo where I currently pastor. No disrespect to Wally Norling (May 4, 1925–April 26, 2010) who was the District Superintendent of the Southwestern District of the Evangelical Free Church from 1966 to 1992. He was responsible for planting over 35 churches during that time and these are “his” five points as communicated to me when I served in the Evangelical Free Church from 1985-1991.