The following list enables you to concentrate your prayer efforts for your children. One suggested method for this list is to take one area a month and focus on that with your children. This will insure that you covered these significant issues in the course of a year. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR CHILDREN. Include thanks in your prayers always. We need to come to value and honor our children as precious resources from the hand of God.
1. Pray that your children will come to trust Christ as their Savior and Lord early in life (2 Timothy 3:15).
2. Pray for your children’s safety….that God build a protective hedge about them….that they will be hedged in so that they can’t find their way to wrong people/places and wrong people can’t find their way to them (Hosea 2:6)
3. Pray that your children will avoid involvement with counterfeit Christian groups and occult practices….that they will know and embrace the real Christ. (Aberrant Christian groups and cults dilute and pervert the doctrine of Christ).
4. Pray that your children will grasp the truth of Gods word and the way of truth and avoid and renounce deception….that they will grow in knowledge of God and His will.
5. Pray that your children will learn to forgive others and receive forgiveness from others and from God, thus avoiding bitterness.
6. Pray that your children have submissive and respectful attitudes toward those in authority over them, renouncing any rebellion (1 Samuel 15:23). Pray that they would obey God – Parents – Teachers – Government – Church Leaders – Employers.
7. Pray that your children would be humble in their attitude toward God and others. Humility is confidence properly placed – an ability to see self in light of God’s nature and character….that they would avoid pride. Pride is a destructive force in your children’s lives. (Ephesians 6:10; James 4:6-10; 1 Peter 5:1-10; Pro 16:18).
8. Pray that your children will have a hatred for sin (Psalm 97:10)….that they will avoid temptation (I Corinthians10:13). and make no provision for the flesh (Romans 13:19). Pray that they will avoid the destruction of addictive habits in their lives (drugs, cigarettes and tobacco, alcohol etc)….that they be caught when guilty (Psalms 119:71) and come with a confessing attitude which receives forgiveness and results in righteousness (James 5:16; I John 1:9)….that they be protected from the evil one (John 17:5).
9. Pray that your children will have a responsible attitude in all their interpersonal relationships (Daniel 6:3)…that they would desire the right kind of friends and be protected from wrong friends (Proverbs 1:10,11)…that they would make wise choices while dating and that God would be preparing their mate by keeping them pure and keeping them in the way (2 Corinthians 6:14-17; 1 Corinthians 6:18-20).
10. Pray that they will recognize their position in Christ and as God’s children so that they have a proper perspective concerning their self-esteem. This will give them the strength to turn and God not be easily influenced by peer pressure.
11. Pray that their minds would be filled with good things (Philippians 4:8) and transformed by the renewing of their mind which will give them single-heartedness and a willingness to be sold out Jesus Christ (Rom. 12:1,2; 1 Corinthians 2:16). Pray that they take every thought captive and make it obedient to the Lordship of Christ (2 Corinthians 1:5).
12. Pray that they would fear the Lord (Proverbs 1:8) and trust the Lord (Proverbs 3:5). These principles will insure that your children make decisions based not on fear of circumstances and will not have irrational fear – but will be secure in their lives as a result of trusting God!