1 John 2:1-11
Observation Questions, “What does the passage say?” Days 1 & 2
- How does John address his readers (v. 1)
- What reason does John give for writing?
- What contingency is given if anyone does sin?
- How is Jesus described in verses 1-2?
- How do we know if we have come to know Him (v. 3)?
- What is said about those who do not keep the commandments (v. 4)?
- What is said about those who keep His word (v. 5)?
- What is told to those who say they abide in Him?
- Is John writing a new commandment (vs. 7-8, careful this is an observation question, what is said here)?
- What is said about darkness and light in this passage?
- What else do you see? Write down observations, list words that need defining, etc.
Interpretation: “What does this passage mean?” Days 3 & 4
- What does John mean by writing “that you may not sin”? Is it possible to stop sinning? Compare Psalm 4:4; John 5:14 & 8:11; Romans 6:1-2, 15; 1 Corinthians 15:34; Ephesians 4:26; 1 Peter 1:15-19; 4:1-3.
- Define the word “Advocate” in verse 1? Compare Romans 8:34; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews7:24-25; 9:24.
- Define the word “Propitiation” in verse 2? Compare 1 John 4:10; Romans 3:25-26; 1 Peter 2:24; 3:18.
- What commandments are referred to here in this passage (vs. 3, 4, 7, 8)?
- What does it mean to “abide” in Christ (compare John 15)
- How important is it for us to love others? Compare Romans 12; 1 Corinthians 13; 2 Peter 2:9.
- What does Jesus teach about the ideas of light and darkness (see John 12:35ff)?
Application: “What does the passage mean to me?” Days 5 & 6
- Do you think it is possible for you to stop sinning?
- What if God helps?
- What do you need to change in your life?
- What steps have you taken to initiate the change?
- What do you do to “abide” in Christ? What does that look like for you on a daily basis?
Day 7: M-Group or M-Station See You Saturday Morning at 8am!!!