1 John 3:10b-24
Observation Questions, “What does the passage say?” Days 1 & 2
1. What is the message heard from the beginning?
2. What are we told about Cain?
3. What is not supposed to be surprising?
4. Why are we told that we have passed from death to life?
5. What are we told about the one who does not love?
6. What are we told about hate?
7. What are we told about love?
8. What are we told about truth?
9. What are we told about commandments?
10. What else did you observe?
Interpretation: “What does this passage mean?” Days 3 & 4
1. Is John serious when he says that hate = murder? Compare with the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7.
2. Explain verse 14. What does he mean by passing out of death into life? What does it mean to abide in death?
3. What does it mean to love in deed and truth?
4. Explain verses 19-20. Look up different versions and the wording. How will we know that we are of the truth?
5. Refresh your memory on what the “commandments are.
6. Trace the word abide here in this passage. Compare it with the rest of 1 John. Compare it with the gospel of John 15. Abiding was important to John, what does abiding look like?
Application: “What does the passage mean to me?” Days 5 & 6
1. Can you prove your love for others?
2. Is there anyone in your life that you hate?
3. How are you going to love in deed and truth? Who will be the recipient of that love?
4. How do you know that you abide in Him?