1 John 2:12-27
Observation Questions, “What does the passage say?” Days 1 & 2
- Who does John say he is writing to in vs. 12, 13, 14?
- What does he write to them about (12-14; 21, 26)?
- What are we told about the “evil one”?
- What is said about the world, the love of the world?
- What are we told about antichrist/antichrists?
- What are we told about denying and confessing the Son?
- What promise is made to us?
- What are we told about anointing?
- What are we told about abiding?
- What other observations did you make?
Interpretation: “What does this passage mean?” Days 3 & 4
- Who are the “little children”, “fathers”, “young men”?
- Who is the evil one? How is he overcome?
- Define world (v. 15-17)? What does it mean to love the world? What does he mean that the “world is passing away”?
- What is the “last hour”? What time frame does John place the last hour?
- Who is the antichrist, antichrists? Place a time frame upon their appearance.
- Who is the “they” in verse 19?
- What is the anointing from the Holy One (vs. 20 & 27)?
- If verse 27 is true, why do we still teach? What is verse 27 saying?
Application: “What does the passage mean to me?” Days 5 & 6
- Would you categorize yourself as a child, young man or father in John’s paradigm? Why?
- The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the boastful pride of life: Which best describes you?
- What is God’s will for you?
- Tell the group about your “anointing”?